In March 1925 a huge fire erupted at Madame Tussauds, the famous waxwork museum on Marylebone Road.
So intense was the blaze that flames leapt up to 5o feet into the air and, according to a report in the Manchester Guardian, one eyewitness who lived opposite said the “wax models could be distinctly heard sizzling.”
The two unsettling images below depict damaged dummies which were salvaged from the building’s smouldering ruins.
It’ll sound unethical (and rightly so) to today’s sensibilities, but for many years Club Row in Shoreditch hosted a pet market every Sunday where punters could buy anything from the tiniest of birds to a fully grown monkey. In 1953 journalist Kaye Webb wrote that “A cacophony of whimpers, yaps, yelps and just plain barking will guide you to the spot…”
The market survived until 1983 when new laws banning the sale of live animals on the street were introduced.
The photograph below was taken by the American Life magazine in 1946.